Bahrain vows to take legal action against rally organizersSouce:Xinhua Publish By Thomas Whittle Updated 29/10/2012 12:11 pm in World / 1 comment
MANAMA, Oct. 28 — Bahrain’s interior ministry said Sunday it would take legal action against opposition groups which organized a rally in Eker without permission from the authorities.
Scores of protestors, backed by members from Bahrain’s main opposition group, Al Wefaq National Islamic Society, took part in a mass rally in Eker.
Al Wefaq has been pushing for a week to hold a rally in Eker in solidarity with residents in the area, who they claim are subjected to increasing harassment from the police.
The group claims to “break the Eker siege,” namely the police restrictions imposed since last week in East and West Eker after a policeman was killed by a home-made explosive.
As part of investigations, police set up check-points to identify drivers who led to the arrest of seven suspects.
Bahrain’s security authorities on Saturday announced that it had denied permission to Al Wefaq’s request to hold a rally in Eker.
Meanwhile, the human rights ministry denied reports that the United Nations was planning to open an human rights office next November in Bahrain.
“The opening of such an office is a sovereign issue which requires the consent from the Government of the Kingdom of Bahrain first,” said the ministry.